Saturday 1 July 2017

Kerber's top spot in question

Angelique Kerber has supplanted Serena Williams as the world number one since achieving a year ago's last, yet her frame has drooped in 2017 and she is in threat of losing top spot after Wimbledon.

The German, 29, plays Irina Falconi of the US in her opening match.

"I'm beginning from zero here," said Kerber. "My brain is step by step here, similar to a year ago.

"I won't put the weight too high. I'm as of now so long the main, I will attempt, obviously, to keep it.

"Be that as it may, toward the end, I am here to play round by round and concentrating just on my matches, not about the numbers or the rankings, the focuses I need to safeguard, or whatever."

Two-time champion Petra Kvitova will be the focal point of much consideration as she proceeds with her amazing rebound following a blade assault in December.

The Czech, 27, endured gashes to her playing hand and it was dreaded she may never play again.

Despite what might be expected, Kvitova returned in front of calendar at the French Open, and afterward won just the second competition she played since her rebound, on the Birmingham grass a week ago.

"I don't know whether it is the consequence of what happened, yet perhaps I feel somewhat courageous due to what happened," said Kvitova, who opens against Johanna Larsson of Sweden.

"I discover what's essential and what is most certainly not. Here and there I'm supposing on the court that I officially won the greatest battle, and on the off chance that I battle in the match, it doesn't make a difference in the event that I win the last point or lost. I will even now be glad to play."

0 comments:

Post a Comment